Dates: 09-14 July 2024 (6 days)
Application Deadline: 17 April 2024 11.59 pm
The course is open to professional percussionists, composers, conservatory students of all levels, chamber music ensembles dedicated to the contemporary repertoire, multimedia artists, improvisers and instrumentalists of all kinds, with no age limits; a short but intense deep-dive into the increasingly diverse landscape of composed, improvised and experimental percussion performed, framed by rehearsals, masterclasses, discussions, presentations, collaborations and performances.
What the course offers:
* performances of collaborative creations, both made at the festival and finished in advance
* concerts featuring relevant and current aesthetics in contemporary percussion
* open, individual lessons/one-on-one meetings (percussion and/or composition)
* coached rehearsals
* lectures and workshops
* documentation of performances
* percussion instruments will be provided for solo works upon agreement.
* to broaden one’s perspective of current contemporary music aesthetics
* to discuss and define a historical context of percussion
* develop strategies for musical interpretation and collaboration, especially with regards to “object music” or “post-instrumental practice”
* expand one’s musical network and make great music together
The course will be fully developed over the winter and spring of 2024, with the program and performances being defined in collaboration with the potential participants of the course. The course will be adapted to the number of applicants and their ability level and repertoire choices/wishes.
For percussionists, there’ll be the possibility to perform a solo piece (or more) that will be workshopped with the tutors and in a concert and/or working with composers for a new collaborative creation. For composers, there will be the possibility of discussing one’s works with the tutors, work on the electronics and propose/participate in collaborative projects, to be performed on the last day. For other figures, the course program will be discussed on the participant’s needs.
Attendance as an actual student is €330; free access for auditors (subject to availability).
Lessons begin on 09/07/2024 and end on 14/07/2024 (total no. 6 effective days).
The course will be held in English/Italian.
Lessons will be held at CDM’s premises.
The cost of the course includes:
1. Individual lessons
2. Tutored rehearsals
3. The possibility of attending all the lessons and/or seminar and lectures held during the course
4. The performance of the pieces presented during the masterclass (solo and/or ensemble) in a
public concert organised by Foresty International Music Festival
5. The presentation of the collaborative projects in a final event organised by Foresty
International Music Festival
6. The use of study spaces, whose hours will be self-managed by the students and coordinated with the activities taking place.
7. Issue of certificates of participation authenticated by the teacher and the organisation
8. The possibility, in the days following the course, to stay at CdM San Michele to professionally record at an advantageous price. For further information, please write to
Details are available at web pages: