Through its Composition Competition, the Molinari Quartet wishes to encourage young composers to write for string quartet. Over the past centuries, the string quartet has become, thanks to the great masterpieces written for it, a highly valued but dreadful form to write for, for composers. But even today, in 2023, the string quartet is as alive and exciting as ever!
The Molinari Quartet contributes to the development of the string quartet literature by encouraging composers to send new original scores to its Competition.
The Molinari Quartet is pleased to announce its Ninth International Competition for Composition for string quartet.
Composers are invited to submit an original work for string quartet. The winning compositions will be played in concert during the Molinari Quartet's Twentieth and Beyond series to be held in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) during the 2024-2025 concert season.
The jury will be comprised of the Molinari Quartet's artistic director and its musicians, in addition to well-known Canadian composers, Michel Gonneville and Nicolas Gilbert who will determine four winners. The winning compositions will be performed by the Molinari Quartet during a special concert during the 2024-2025 season. After the concert performance the jury will deliberate and choose the order of the winners. The First Prize winner shall receive a 3000 $ CA grant as well as a silkscreen by renowned Canadian artist Guido Molinari. The second prize winner will receive a 2000 $ CA grant and the third prize winner a 1000 $ CA grant. The fourth finalist will receive an Honourable Mention. The jury reserves the right not to grant all the prizes.
The renowned Viennese publisher Universal Edition offers a free evaluation of their works to all the participants enabling them to access the scodo* publishing tool. Also, the four winners will receive a free one year subscription to scodo, worth 900$ (600 €).
The winners will be invited to work with the Molinari Quartet prior to the winners’ concert and to participate in the Dialogues sur le Plateau series, a public workshop of discussions and analysis produced by the Molinari Quartet.
Rules for Eligibility:
• Candidates must be 40 years old or less as of April 1st 2024, the due date for registration.
• The work must not exceed 20 minutes.
• Only works for string quartet that have never been performed professionally as of April 1st 2024 shall be accepted.
• Works having been performed in a pedagogical context (school, masterclass, workshop) by students and not a professional ensemble are eligible.
• Works for quartet and electronics are accepted.
• Scores must be received by the Molinari Quartet at the latest April 1st 2024. (The post
office stamp shall be recognized as the receiving date)
• Scores in PDF format are also accepted and must be received at the latest April 1st 2024 at the following address : firstname.lastname@example.org
• USB keys are also accepted.
• Registration fees of 30 $ CA must accompany all scores. **
Details are available at web pages: